- Grand challenges in urban ecosystems
- Our dual mission is to facilitate a cross-sector, interdisciplinary network of environmental scientists and to increase the diversity across the environmental workforce.
- ICARE envisions training a diverse student body in ecology, evolution, engineering, social science, and policy research related to the environment and empowering those students for careers in which foundational research is used to solve environmental problems.
- Broad participation in environmental problem-solving;
- Evidence-based pedagogical training in workforce skills;
- Interdisciplinary exercises mapping research impact;
- Two-way knowledge exchange at the science-policy interface;
- Place our trainees in rewarding jobs in the environmental sector
ICARE grew out of an effort by UMBC faculty in 2016 to increase collaboration among ecologists, evolutionary biologists, environmental scientists and engineers on campus. As we coalesced around a mission to train a diverse student body and increase representation of diverse backgrounds in our fields, we expanded to include professional scientists from local government agencies, non-profits and industry. We are now a large network of environmental researchers committed to diversifying the environmental workforce through teaching, mentorship, and professional development.
Participating Departments at UMBC
Please follow us on Instagram (umbc_icare),