Application Process

In order to be considered for the the ICARE NRT Master’s Program, you must complete two separate applications. Prospective students need to apply to the department they are interested in, as well as submit an application to ICARE. There is no order this needs to be done in, but for best consideration, please complete both of your applications by January 15th (new target date!), 2023.

1. DEPARTMENTAL APPLICATION: Prospective students should apply to the UMBC department or program of interest. To find a mentor, please browse our core faculty web page and the example research projects page. We encourage you to contact faculty directly to express your interest. If you know someone in the Baltimore/DC area that works in a Non-Profit, Industry, Federal or State Agency, you could also approach that person to help you find a good UMBC co-mentor.


2. ICARE APPLICATION: To be considered for the ICARE program, please complete application form, linked below. For best consideration, please complete the ICARE application by January 15th (new target date!), 2023.

The following short response/essay questions will be part of the ICARE application, as well as a 1-2 page resume:

  • Please identify 1-2 potential mentors from the affiliated faculty list with whom you would be interested in working.
  • When did you complete your UMBC Graduate School application? If you have not yet completed your application, when do you plan to?
  • Please submit a statement of your career goals and interest in ecology, evolution, conservation, environmental science, environmental policy, or engineering (approximately 250 words).
  • Diversity and inclusion in the fields of environmental science and engineering need improving, and our program is explicitly focused on these efforts. How do your experiences, passions, and/or interests align with this program and with UMBC? (Approximately 250 words.) 

ICARE Program Application

We are accepting applications now!

For best consideration, please complete by January 15th, 2023

U.S. citizens and permanent residents are eligible for the full stipend and tuition remission, along with funding for research and travel. Non-U.S. citizens and non-permanent residents are unable to receive the full stipend or tuition remission, however they can receive funding for research and travel.

If you are a returned Peace Corps volunteer (RPCV), you are able to have the application fee waived for your grad school application. Please contact us directly for the fee waiver.